I’m Shaping Up; Week 24
You just never know.
A few weeks back I received an e-mail from my academic mentor and friend, Dr. John Kiefer. He was my master of public administration program’s thesis advisor while I attended the University of New Orleans. We connected immediately, and I admired his career as a professor and his calling as a United States Marine.
Satisfied with my graduation from UNO and no intention of continuing my education, Doc encouraged me to pursue a PhD with just a three sentence conversation. No, I cannot share those “motivational” words he spoke, but what I am sharing is that he, singularly inspired me to push further than I ever imagined I could.
In his e-mail last month, it said that he had been following this series “I’m Shaping Up” and it inspired him to regain his USMC fighting form. Or at the least get back to fitness!!
Who knew? You just never know.
One way of getting there
Here’s to holding each other accountable when the couch looks inviting and the snacks endless.
– Don’t know.
– 8 cycling sessions!!! I biked 2-a-days earlier in the week and it was awesome.
– 1 day of running (these cool mornings are great for adding a few extra miles)
– 1 lawn cut. Yes, I’m convinced that this is an athletic event as long as there is no zero-radius mower involved. ALL Push mower!!
– Extra cycling has caused a craving for extra eating, but not the bad stuff. Well, still scoring my night-time ice cream. Kiddo’s fault.
UNO Ring & BP
– BP is still good and resting HR is low 50’s. It’s been great being able to push my HR into the mid 160’s to 170’s for sustained periods of cycling, then dropping it quickly into a recovery range.
– The UNO ring slips on and off without hanging up on swollen knuckles or fat fingers.
Bayou Country Cyclists Saturday morning ride
Monday – Sunday Goals:
– 5 days of cycling.
– 1 yoga session (I’ve really blown this one).
– 3 morning run sessions
– bring lunches to work or prepared meal at home.
– Continue with hydration.
How are your efforts going? Don’t just read this and dismiss it. Make a commitment today. You have peer support, CopsAlive.com expertise, and a champion fitness advisor all ready to help.